Thursday, July 23, 2009

What to drink when it's hot?

I know it's not hot, but I'm just back from Portugal where it was hot. Very hot. We tried a couple of times to drink the very nice Portuguese reds, but just couldn't face them, even chilled. We had a half bottle (we were with the children, so we had a limited window for consumption!) in an Italian restaurant one night served at room temperature (about 27 degrees) and it was like having a glass of soup.

The answer? Rosé. Cheap. Cold. Wet. Lowish in alcohol. You don't have to think about it too much. All in all, perfect holiday fare. Of course, they figured this out ages ago in the South of France.

Is there any point in trying to drink expensive Rosé? We have different ones on sale in the shop from around a tenner up to Domaine Ott at €32. Is it worth it? I don't know - I feel a tasting coming on....

Any views welcome - I need to be convinced.

No comments: