Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Is it really 40%?

Someone told me today that Tesco now have 40% market share in the Irish wine market. Does anyone know if this really is the case. When I was in the grocery trade many moons ago, Tesco and Dunnes were always fighting it out for leadershoip of the grocery trade, usually trading places around 23 - 24 % each, according to the Nielsen figures at the time. Tesco's share of the grocery trade may have increased slightly by now, but I'm pretty sure it's not 40%.

Therefore, if they have a higher share of the wine trade than they do of grocery in general, this means that below-cost selling in booze is working nicely for them and probably helping build share in grocery in general.

Before I go on a rant, I need to get the facts, gather my thoughts and try to do it coherently.

Anyone got the facts?

@superquinnwine maybe?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I saw that figure recently in Drinks Industry Ireland mag. Doesn't seem so unbelievable?